Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fusion food and Storefront Con-fusion @ New York Subway


Fusion, whether it be a theoretical concept of energy creation, a women's football team http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Fusion, or a process of accultaration and bilateral cultural exchange, is usually seen as a positive (but don't get me started on the Cleveland Fusions' weak secondary and non-existent d-line).

For my first real, authentic, no-filler sammich blog, I decided to rate the Indian inspired Burritos at New York Subway.




The Restaurant name is fitting for a Linda Richmond-esque rant: New York Subway, neither located in New York nor an underground mass transit system... discuss. Despite the somewhat confusion name, New York Subway have long been an O.G. in the Toronto Burrito game (The Ice-T of stuffed tortillas).



It is, pleasentries aside, a bit of a dump, located in the heart of Queen West.




NOW TO THE MAIN EVENT: THE SAMMICH




The burrito they serve are more oblong shaped then the goliath-shaped offerings of ball'o'torilla'and'stuffing that Burrito Bandidos and Big Fat are known to serve .



I decided on the regular Lamb Satay burrito, which was about 4.99 plus tax. I wholeheartedly endorse this burrito. The lamb was equal parts crunchy, sweet and greasy, the tomatoes were fresh and I left feeling only partial meat comatosed.







Fusing interesting flavors with sammich templates is something I have been interested in since my former roomate Oscar's mother described her attempts for the the elusive Kazakh-Salvadorian (can you say pupusa with yak milk cheese and horse meat!?!?!?)


On the modified J Karantonis Opa scale, I would give this fused burrito a 7.5/10


Pros:

- Delicous lamb meat

- good balance of sweet and spicy

- inexplicable name had me starring off to the stars

- No horses or yaks were harmed in the making of said burrito


Cons:

- Some of the meat was over cooked

- slightly too much satay sauce


Next up, a cheezboiger cheezboiger-esque experience with the wacky Greek line-cooks at the Mutual Street Deli, me continuing to 'celebrate my Jewiness' at the Corned Beef House AND our very installment of the don't knock it till you've tried it section @ Annex Submarine.

No comments: