Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Volcanoed at Slice of New York






Every time I go to visit NYC, I am struck by many of the delicious offerings that cannot be acquired in Toronto the Good. Whether it be Korean-Fried Chicken, a readily available breakfast sandwich, Brian Schwartz, Baked Ziti, or Gourmet Doughnuts . Suffice it say, NYC has things TO lacks (many of which will be featured in future entries)

Many Toronto chains try to claim some sort of connection, whether it be mere rhetorical flourish or an earnest attempt at authenticity: (i.e. New York Subway, New York Fries, New Yorker Deli, Harlem Restaurant, New York Fried Chicken etc etc etc).

One such joint claiming linkages is “A Slice of New York”: A Pakistani Run fast food joint that has all delicious N.Y. staples such as Good looking slices, Chicken Rolls, Hoagies, and the centrepiece of this review, the Stromboli.

The Stromboli is the Calzone and Panzerroti’s “special” but loveable cousin. According to my personal sandwich mecca W. I. Pedia, the Stromboli, appears to have been birthed in Philly by Nazzareno Romano who named it after the contemporaneous Ingrid Bergman flick.

The shape of a Stromboli can be best described as an Oblong loaf, halfway between a Burrito and a wrap.

The Stromboli I ordered was the Manhattan, which was stuffed with Gyro Meat, Pepperoni, Green Peppers, Mushrooms and Mozzarella Cheese. The Stromboli was perfectly cooked: crusty on the outside, gooey on the inside with perfectly distributed goodies inside. The meats inside were well cooked and not stringy or overdone.




The Stromboli cost 4.99 and came with a container of Marinara sauce

Based on the ability of the guys running counter @ Slice of N.Y, I will very rapidly be back to taste one of their hoagies.

8.5/10 OPA’s

Pros:
- Once again delciously greasy
- Good distribution of meat, veg and cheese
- Fast service
- Halal, a bonus for TGCSB's Islamic readership
- Wide menu of sandwich variation goodies (hoagies, schwarma, hoagies with schwarma, etc)
Cons:
- Marinara sauce lacked the Zip I was looking for
- Was left a bit hungry but that is pretty reasonable for the price.

I shall exuent once again, pursued by bear and with one of my favorite Mitch Hedburg sandwich related jokes:

“I order the club sandwich all the time, but I'm not even a member, man. I don't know how I get away with it”


No comments: