Monday, August 10, 2009

We are still living or "You better wrap that gavel up b"

So my fellow sandwich-ites, like the Phoenix this blog will rise again, stronger from the ashes of death. Deal with it


This entry's featured sandwich is a wrap from Urbana, a pretty decent coffee shop on 1030 Bay St, across the street from Bistro 990 (insert nauseating TIFF reference because its topical)


Now if this were the Great Canadian Coffee blog (idea anyone) I might well be raving about this place. I love their espresso, the free wi-fi, availiability of power cords (as my laptop's battery life is only slightly longer than a gastrostich's with a debiltating virus) and even their goods are serviceable. Unfortunately that's not my M.O.

Due to work-related concerns, I only had 10 minutes to grab lunch and this was the closest non Pizza option.

Of all the items on the menu, I was most inspired by the Chicken Salad Wrap.

Now, I understand the need to streamline sandwich production as well as any other sandwich supply chain enthusiast, however this CAN be problematic in wrap construction.

It seems that the master assembler of the Urbana wraps (likely an offsite supplier) decided it was crucially important to seperate the ingredients to avoid mushiness:


Now can one guess the problem with this construction? Yes Bite of only carrot, followed by bite of lettuce, followed by chicken salad. Ladies and Gentlemen, I hold that the carrots and lettuce role in said wrap is to provide an essnetial cruchiness to the wrap. An additional two points got lost for a tiny bone in my chicken salad.

By bite number 5 it devolved into just the kind of mushy mess that the Sandwich M.C. (get it wrap/wrapper/rapper ) tried to avoid:



While I still recommend this place for a damn good cup o joe, it is the recipient of the lowest OPA rating yet recorded; a paltry 3 / 10 Opas

Highs:
  • ummm- NFL Season starts soon... that's a positive.
Lows:
  • aformentioned spatial problems
  • bone
  • chicken salad itself was under-seasoned.


No comments: