Monday, December 20, 2010

Law-Wiches Volume 2: Amici Sandwichicius (friend of the Sandwich)

As I stated in volume 1 of this post, throughout my initial forays into the legal profession, I am CONSTANTLY asked about my favourite Sandwiches in Toronto's Financial District. As such, here are the rest of my Sandwich reviews in the general vicinity (e.g. walking distance from King & Bay where I worked this summer) of the Financial District. 

Entry #4: Petit Four Bakery 

Petit Four is the sister restaurant of Four Bistro and is located in Commerce Court. The main attraction of these Sandwiches are the freshly baked and occasionally-eccentric Foccacia breads that serve as a conduit for Sandwich deliciousness. 

The first Sandwich I sampled from them was the California Turkey Sandwich: 

















The Sandwich featured tender roast turkey, avocado, tomato and lettuce. What really piqued my interest on this Sandwich was that it was served on Bacon Foccacia. I wondered what this meant: was bacon going to be ground in and baked in? Was the flour bacon flavored? or was the foccacia simply inspired by Bacon's salty deliciousness. Turns out it was NONE OF THE ABOVE. It had large strips of bacon laid on top of the loaf:


















Keeping the Bacon separate and above the Sandwich fillings was actually a little bit of genius. It kept the bacon crisp and prevented mushiness from setting in (which definitely would have happened with the mayo and avocado in the sandwich)

This Sandwich came with a mixed salad and was around $10 bucks, a very reasonable price for Bay Street.

I also sampled a terrific Smoked Salmon and Egg sandwich with shoestring onions on a more conventional whole-wheat Foccacia. The boiled eggs were perfect degree of well-done (just a shade below hard boiled) for a Sandwich. The Smoked Salmon was fresh but lacked the wow factor of say Russ & Daughters Salmon

 



































Overall  Judgment: 
8.5 Opas/10 

Definitely one my favourite Sandwiches in the district. 

Entry #5: Mustachio's

Mustachio's is the well-known Veal Sandwichery in the basement of the St Lawrence Market. 

Some of my older readers may recall I made a passing reference to it in the Great Back-Bacon Bonanza Post  , where I sacrificied my body in the name of ascertaining the best Peameal on a Kaiser @ SLM. 

Mustachio has its crew of fans who constantly harangue me about missing it my 2 volume Veal Sandwich treatise (volume 1  and volume 2). It also has its haters. 

In my opinions it has some notable advantages over other Veal shops and some areas where it is lacking: 

Pros: 
  • They offer the option of the Veal/Eggplant Combo
  • Free carmelized onions (... I think)
  • Nice crispness


















Cons:  
  • Bland tomato sauce (can't compare with California Sandwiches, Vinny Panini and the rest of the top of the pack)
  • My eggplant seemed a bit dried out

















Overall Impressions: 

I think that it was a solid Sandwich, but clearly I am biased towards this type of Sandwich (as I've already reviewed like 6 other veal Sandwiches in the city). I think that it probably ranks closest to San Francesco in the Veal Sandwich pantheon. 

As such, it deserves 7 Opas/10



As Canada's premier (and possibly only) Sandwich blogger, I would be remiss to avoid any place with the word Sandwich featured prominently in the title. However, when it comes to the Sandwich Box, I was a little bit shy about reviewing it.

 Why you ask? 

I have always found it hard to review D.I.Y Sandwiches. If you gets a bad Sandwich where you get to pick your choice of meat, bread, toppings, is it truly the restaurant's fault or does the blame lie on the Sandwich eater? 

As such, I resolved to review the Sandwich Box by trying their "Sandwich of the day". 






The Sandwich featured chopped Bacon, roast Chicken, Swiss Cheese and if I recall correctly some sort of flavoured Aioli. 

It was alright. The bread was fresh and the meats were perfectly serviceable but not otherwise noteworthy. 

While around the same amount of food/$ as Petit Four, I felt that I got a much better value at Petit Four. 

Overall Judgment: 6.5 Opas/10


To close, some Sandwich humor for you all: 

A Sandwich walks into a bar in a seedy neighborhood bar and tries to order a drink. 
The bartender replies "I'm sorry we don't serve food in this bar". 

No comments: